The museum collection of metal items made in Latvia is relatively small, since most of those products were imported from abroad. Riga and Liepāja were the most significant local metalworking centres. In the early 20th century, there were several precious metals workshops in Riga where the best masters of their trade worked, as well as two metalworking factories – Planet and Aetna. The largest precious metals workshop with a shop was located in Old Riga, at Gleznotāju iela 12/14. Until 1904 it belonged to a goldsmith Ēriks Bakstats, but in 1904 it was purchased by a long-serving alderman of the guild Hermanis Banks. The workshop produced cutlery, candlesticks, goblets and other items. The museum collection has a marvellous set of silver dinner knives with an Art Nouveau décor of embossed poppies and leaves. Their steel blades came from Jernbolaget metal factory in Eskilstuna, Sweden. The two silver spoons decorated with a modest floral Art Nouveau décor were also produced in Banks’ factory. There is also a base for a fruit tray produced in the factory Planet in the museum collection. Had the glass parts (three fruit bowls) been preserved, this item could have been an excellent example of Art Nouveau industrial art. The metal base is designed as entwined twigs and leaves with a gracefully shaped figure of a crane complementing the composition. Displaying features of the Japanese stylistic approach, this piece combines the characteristic shapes of Art Nouveau with the interpretation of Oriental art. The factory also restored metal articles, i.e. performing silver, gold, nickel and bronze plating, and adjusted the old lanterns for electric lighting. The second largest metalworking centre was in Liepāja, where in 1912, Heinrich Wilhelm Glasenapp opened a cutlery production plant. It mostly produced items made of alpaca with thick silver plating. The museum collection includes several teaspoons, a gravy ladle, a butter knife and a ladle made in this factory. Their handles bear an Art Nouveau ornament – a stylised iris and a crossed ribbon the use of which began around 1910. The products of such a design were manufactured even after WWI. The vase made during WWI from an artillery shell is one of the most unique items in the museum collection. Its particular shape is adorned with an ornament of an engraved flower. The vase was made by soldiers to their commander Prince Uvarov for his fiftieth birthday. Although the collection of metal objects made in Latvia is small, it gives very valuable information about the metal art and crafts of that time.